Update: Mayor Bryce Ward plans to ask the Assembly to postpone public comment on the Capital Improvement Program due to the coronavirus/COVID-19 pandemic. See the Fairbanks Daily News-Miner story here.
Despite the coronavirus/COVID-19 pandemic, our borough government is still trying to keep functioning. As such, the Fairbanks North Star Borough Assembly still has a resolution adopting the Capital Improvement Program (CIP) on its March 26 special meeting agenda.
The current CIP has several Parks and Recreation projects, including several that deal with trails directly or indirectly. These include:
- Equinox Trail Extension and Completion
- Peede Trail Head and Trail Development
- Isberg Recreation Area Master Plan Implementation
- Growden Park Revitalization
- Fairbanks Lions Recreation Area (FLRA) Revitalization
- Tanana Lakes Master Plan Implementation Phase III
- Tanana Lakes Master Plan Implementation Phase V
- Tanana Lakes Master Plan Implementation Phase VI
- Chena Lake Area Revitalization Phase I
If you care about any or all of these projects, please speak up. Let the assembly know you that trails (and parks and rec in general) are important.
To learn more about the CIP:
- See the CIP overall page.
- See the resolution here.
- CIP spreadsheet (do a search to find all the trail-related projects)
(Endorsing projects does NOT obligate the borough to spend money on it. Rather, it helps prioritize how we spend any money we might have after the dust settles from the coronavirus/COVID-19 pandemic and the oil price wars. Outside funding may also be used for some of these projects.)
You can participate in the meeting telephonically (see note from borough below) or contacting the assembly via email:
NOTE FROM BOROUGH
During the COVID-19 outbreak, it is allowed and encouraged for assemblymembers and the public to participate at this and future meetings telephonically. In person participation is still available while using social distancing practices, however, written comments and telephonic participation is encouraged.
For more information on how to participate telephonically visit the webpage STAY CONNECTED WITH THE ASSEMBLY or call the Borough Clerk’s Office 459-1401.